August 02, 2011

Anthony Horowitz: The Power of Five: Raven's Gate (Book 1)


He always knew he was different.
First there were the dreams.
Then the deaths began.


When Matt Freeman gets into trouble with the police, he’s sent to be

fostered in Yorkshire.

It’s not long before he senses there’s something wrong with his

guardian: with the whole village.

Then Matt learns about the Old Ones and begins to understand just how

different he is.

But no one will believe him; no one can help.

There is no proof.
There is no logic.
There is just the Gate.
source



Spoiler alert!

According to Wikipedia, The Power of Five series is based on ideas from a series written by Anthony Horowitz in 1983-1989, Pentagram. It also shares similarities to the Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper (which I've read when I was a kid, have it on my reading list now, too).

The new series significantly expands and modernizes the original books, with greater focus on character and on building a sense of impending doom. Oh, the doom. Because of that I gotta say, this book is kind of a boy book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but the times I just couldn't help feeling there's just way too much happening way too fast and it's just too dark and oh the doom! Most of the times I was thinking "Let that poor boy just sleep or rest or something! Why are you torturing him!?"

Throughout the book so much is happening, yet I felt the plot wasn't really going anywhere, until I had read half the book. I didn't know, what's the thing with Matt, or with the old creepy lady, or with anything! How annoying can that be. Yes, I'm quite ms. Know-It-All, so yeah, I have to know everything and fast!

At the times I felt there was too much violence and it was just too depressing. Maybe I'm just too puppies, pink elephants and unicorns kind of girl. I just got soooo anxious, when Matt was trying to get out of the village, but always ended up in the same place he started. Whenever someone tries to help him, they get killed! And nobody else believes him! That's just so... annoying. I may have screamed "Why don't you believe him!?! This is fiction, not real life, you should believe him!".

Yet another annoying thing: Matt can't control his powers. It's as if his powers has the life of their own. So, occationally, I almost get the feeling, that Matt's just not that special after all. It's as if he's used as some sort of a vessel for these huge powers I hear everyone talking, yet the boy is mostly.. useless. That's sad, 'cause I like to see characters, that are in control and are important because of themselves and for what they are, not because someone else's power. You know what I mean..?

I read the Finnish version of book, borrowed from library, and haven't yet read the English version. I do have the feeling, that there might have been some language barrier issues in translating, which I feel is a common problem among translated books. Usually reading is more fluent, if read in original language, but this might be just my own problem. I'm always looking for little errors in translation, that's my dirty little secret. Okay, little errors in everything, to be honest..

Overall, good book! I couldn't stop reading, 'cause I was too anxious to know what will happen to poor little Matt. Luckily, he survived, from the first book at least. I'm actually reading the 3rd book at the moment, always have to read every published book in a serie. Even when it's too violent and dark for my taste.


As you can notice, this is my first review ever, so I'm having quite a hard time trying to put my thoughts together. If you have any thoughts, hopes or dreams, just send me a message!

0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz