August 26, 2011

Book Review: Lucian by Isabel Abedi




Lucian by Isabel Abedi
Released : September 9th 2009
Publisher: Arena Verlag
Format : Hardback
Pages: 553
Source : Library
Buy : Amazon UK / Book Depository



synopsis




It feels like …

… a tear, a tiny tear deep inside Rebecca as if someone had pulled out a hair with tweezers. What remains is a strange sensation of emptiness and fear. But then Lucian appears out of nowhere. A boy without a past, someone who cannot remember who he is or where he came from. Yet Lucian gives Rebecca the feeling of not being lonely any more.

“Are you following me?” The boy examined me with his eyes.
“No.“ I glared at him. “No! Who are you anyway?”
Again the boy did not answer; this time he looked unsure of himself.
“Tell me, will you,“ I demanded. “What’s your name?”
The boy lowered his head. “You tell me.”
“Tell you what?“ I took a step back. “My name?“
“No. My name.“

A young girl falls in love with a young man, who looks to be homeless, but who turns out to be her guardian angel (except he doesn’t know it due to amnesia). The only thing they know for certain is that every dream Lucian has about Rebecca, comes true. And Lucian has just dreamt that Rebecca is
going to die.



thoughts




I didn't have a clue, what kind of book this would be, when I borrowed it from my library. I just checked the frontcover and thought that it looked nice and simple, black with one white feather flowing. Though I was scared, that since it has 553 pages, I would never actually read the book. Luckily, this isn't what happened.

As I said in my earlier post, I was reading Finnish edition, and had to start this book twice. First time I only read first 16 pages, and was exhausted. I thought that this book isn't for me, that it's just way too slow. The second time I jumped to where I left first time, and it took only two more pages to turn _really_ interesting. After that I couldn't stop reading. Seriously. The story really took me over. It's truly wonderfull to find this kind of book, these are rare and just.. worth reading.

The main character is a girl named Rebecca. Occasionally she's a little silly and/or childish, but that doesn't really bother me, which is nice for a change. Usually I'm just rolling my eyes and thinking "man, aren't you a silly one..". I could just feel her pain, when she was apart from Lucian. Only thing, I didn't like so much, was the ending. It was really really short, only few pages, and I could've just kept reading. But then again, if I love a book, I don't want it to end ever. Because I feel like I'm losing a friend when the story ends. I'm also a sucker for happy endings, so I did actually cry in the end, when Lucian wasn't human anymore. I need that Cinderella-ending "and they lived happily ever after".

Overall, I need to buy a copy for myself. I need this book to my bookshelf. My bookshelf isn't perfect without this book. I could go on and on about this book, so it may be best, if I just give the rating now.



Rating:






p.s. I actually thought that I wouldn't give 5 cupcakes, but there it is. Maybe a little minus from the end, but there you go, 5 cupcakes!


1 kommenttia :

Haha said...

Brillant book!
www.facebook.com/Abedi.Lucian

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz