October 17, 2011

Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins



Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Released : April 1st 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Format : Paperback
Pages: 336
Series: Hex Hall #1
Source : Bought from Amazon
Buy : Amazon UK / Book Depository






synopsis




Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.



thoughts




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
I sooooooo fell in love with this one! It has creepiness, action, romance and it's just freaking hilarious! I bought this based on reviews, and was not disappointed. My copy was paperback, so now I ordered a hardcover-version of this one. Which means, soon I'll have one extra copy of this, which means.. my first giveaway ever!

This really was a brilliant read, which I'm always happy to find. When I was halfway through the book, I actually started to check if I was near the ending, 'cause I didn't want it to end, ever!

Of course, there's two guys mentioned, but luckily, it wasn't taken over the top, like in so many books. These guys actually have character and they're not all head over heels for the main character. They're not in war with each other and they're not like stupid drooling puppies! And yet again, there's the "good guy - bad guy"- thingy going on, but it didn't bother me. Except, of course I loved the bad guy.. What else could you expect?







It definitely had some new ideas with the whole Hex Hall- thing and I liked how even the origin of the witches etc. is explained. And I liked the mystery, too, 'cause it wasn't too obvious. Though the whole dead-grandmother-back-to-life- idea was creepy. Totally creepy. I had some trouble trying to read this in a dark room, all alone.

If I have to find some negatives about this book, I guess I wasn't really excited about the whole cheerleader-witches-idea, but fortunately I was proven wrong and they were taken so over the top, it was hilarious. And of course there's the same old "one girl/two guys/add-some-paranormal-thingies", but luckily it had some unique twists in it, so it wasn't too obvious and boring. And I was quite sure that we would see another whiny little girl as a main character, but she was actually really cute, occasionally whiny, but not too whiny!

So I truly recommend this to anyone, who's looking for a great and funny read!



Rating:



3 kommenttia :

moretalesfromthecrypt said...

Another one that I'm going to have to move up my TBR pile! Awesome review. Love the quote! I'm off to become a follower of your blog!

Maji Bookshelf said...

I actually bought this book Yesterday and i want to read it sometime!! But your review has made me eager to start it! im glad you rated it 5 starts!! i hope ill enjoy it as much as you did!

Monaliz said...

It's so awesome to get new followers, welcome!

And I really loved this book, maybe some people think that it may be too childish, but guess I'll never grow up ;) Hope you love it too, Maji!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz