November 03, 2011

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl



Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
Released : December 1st 2009
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format : Paperback
Pages: 592
Series: Caster Chronicles #1
Source : Bought from Amazon
Buy : Amazon UK / Book Depository






synopsis




Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.



thoughts







*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
It took me a while to start this book. And then it took me a while to read it through. Yes, it's a good read, but the overall writing wasn't as captivating as I expected. It's kind of slow paced, and occasionally just not that fluent.
There's the whole thing with the Civil War. Yes, it's somewhat important part of the characters' history, but all the historical reenactments and history lessons just didn't do it for me. Same with the DAR and PTA. Witch hunt also included, but that was a big part of the plot, so that I could have lived with.

Parts about the Civil War could have been completely removed, and I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference. They only distracted me, and I wished those parts were replaced with Ethan's and Lena's romance. Since there could have been so much more details about that, then I would've been happy.

Overall, I liked Ethan and Lena. A couple, who are destined to be together, though the fate is against them. Especially when we find out the thing about Mortals and Casters not working so well together.

Ethan is a narrator, which was interesting considering women authors. Despite that, Ethan was a believable character. He's blind to Lena's flaws, but isn't that how it always is when you're madly in love with someone. They're the perfection and you would do anything for them. So Ethan's quite the knight in shiny armor through out the book.

And Lena. She seems so nice. So, so nice. She would never even hurt a fly, except when she loses the control of her powers. But then again, when she gains the control, her niceness starts cracking. The thing with the book and sort of brainwashing her aunt and cousin? Not nice! So even though I liked her and Ethan together, I liked Ethan more.

There's a bunch of other people hanging around, but only few I really liked, being Uncle Macon, Link and Ridley. Believe it or not, I really liked her! Especially the thing with "Sympathy for the devil"- song, that was quite funny. Luckily, there's more of her in the second book!

Overall, a good read. The ending saved the whole book, before that I had some troubles following the story, but the end was loud and clear. I cried like a baby. Like I always do, when there's a good story going on. This was the reason I started book 2 right away!



Rating:



0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz