March 22, 2012

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins



Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Published: March 13th 2012
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Format : Hardcover
Pages: 327
Series: #3
Source : Bought from Book Depository
Amazon | Book Depository



Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away.

Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
After receiving this book, it only took me few hours to read it. I was nearly finished when I realized that this will be the end for Sophie! I'm not sure if I already knew that and just blocked it from my memory, or if this really was news to me.
Either way, I had to stop reading for a while and go through the five stages of grief:
  • What, it's over?! It can't be over! I don't believe you, there will be another book, no matter what you say!

  • Seriously, it's over?! *throws book in the wall* Who can I beat up?

  • If I beg and cry and pray and be a good girl, will you write another Hex Hall book, please Rachel!

  • No. It can't be over, but it does seem so *sobbing in bed*

  • Okay, it's over. At least I have these three books I can read over and over again.


Luckily, I just went through these stages in my head, I didn't send begging-/hatemail to Rachel, so no worries! Though I do feel I might have regress back to anger. Except now it's aimed at the plot. So I may not be thinking all that clear right now.

Okay, first to things I loved. What I loved the most is the same as with the other two books: quick and witty dialogues! And here's the reason why I try to read alone: I don't have pokerface. So you can see from my face what's going on in the book.
And the witty dialogues? I always "act" them. My mouth moves and my facial expressions changes with the subject. Luckily, this only happens when there's really good dialogues going on! But when there is (good dialogues going on), I can't stop myself. So it's quite embarrassing to read good book in public. But at least it's easy to spot good dialogues ;)

I also loved the love triangle (when don't I)! Though not the end, but I'll get to that later.
But the beginning was awesome, you had to love the jealousy and Elodie's meddling! ;)

Then, what I didn't like.. Well, there wasn't really much of that and maybe it was only because I was so upset after realizing this is the end. But I did get the feeling that everything just ended so abruptly. I wished there were extra 200 pages so we could've slowly just ease into it. Now it just always felt sudden. Like "oh no, I like two boys, I can't choose", few pages later "I'm enlightened, now I know who I want!" and "I missed the bad guy, but we will find out more about their plans soon! And they will pay!" and then it was just "Oh, things sorted out".
Not exactly like that, but it was just as abrupt.

Also, the love triangle and how it ends.. Well, I'm not going to spoil anything, but I was so not happy. Both guys had their pros and cons, but I was actually starting to like Cal more. Don't read too much into this, I'm not hinting anything. Or am I?

Well, guess you just have to find out yourself! ;)

Overall, Rachel Hawkins didn't let me down and managed to live up to my expectations. Though of course I'm still heart broken, because I really don't want to say goodbye to Hex Hall. I hope we'll see more adventures located there, hopefully including Sophie!

Love you, Hex Hall. You'll be missed. And now I'll crab a box of chocolates and head to bed, probably cry myself to sleep.




+ ½





2 kommenttia :

Maji Bookshelf said...

aww im glad you loved it!! I just realized that this is the last book!! I own the first two books but never read them :( Your review makes me want to go to my shelf and start reading em! Great review!!

Farah @MajiBookshelf

Monaliz said...

Always glad to hear! :) Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz