June 14, 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Of Poseidon
by Anna Banks


Published: May 22nd 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Format: Ebook
Pages: 336
Series: Of Poseidon #1
Source: From NetGalley for
review
Amazon |
Book Depository

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish.


It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen.

Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for.

That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom.

He needs her help - no matter what the risk.





*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*

I smack into him as if shoved from behind. He doesn't budge, not an inch. Just holds my shoulders and waits. Maybe he's waiting for me to find my balance. Maybe he's waiting for me to gather my pride. I hope he's got all day.

I hear people passing on the boardwalk and imagine them staring. Best-case scenario, they think I know this guy, that we're hugging.
Worst-case scenario, they saw me totter like an intoxicated walrus into this complete stranger because I was looking down for a place to park our beach stuff.

Either way, he knows what happened. He knows my cheek is plastered to his bare chest. And there is definite humiliation waiting when I get around to looking up at him.

Sounds like a great start, right? It took me a while to form a picture of this scene in my head, but after I managed to do that, I had to laugh out a little. And seriously, it doesn't get easier for Emma!
Especially when the guy in the scene no. 1 moves to same place with her and for some weird reason starts in her school, too!
Galen's convinced Emma has "the gift", that she can communicate with the fish. They become quite close, but there's just one problem.. If Emma really has the gift, she's suppose to marry Galen's brother.

After the funny start, things get quite gruesome, when shark attacks Emma's best friend. And the best friend dies.
Galen's convinced Emma's a mermaid - sorry, syrena - but when she doesn't change during the shark attack, he's baffled. So he follows her to her hometown. Which is quite creepy and stalker-like. If you want to think things realistically. But since this is a book, you don't have to! And don't, 'cause otherwise you'll start feeling like Galen's a chauvinistic stalker.






Galen's pretty annoying sometimes, if you don't like that "I'm-man-and-tell-what-you-can-do"- stuff. IRL, I don't, and have had quite a few battles with hubby about that subject (yeah, he's wise enough and doesn't tell me what to do..), since I'm maybe even overly sensitive about it.
But I'm an escapist and everything's possible in books. I just get some guilty pleasure about that kind of male characters. Maybe he did went little overboard in occasions, like attacking other guys when you're jealouse, but I still didn't hate him ;)

Emma's a quite odd character, maybe? I don't really know how to describe her! She's suppose to be this sweet and cute and shy little girl, but it's pretty hard to picture her that way! Because she does act sometimes quite.. umh.. b*tchy. And she attacked Galen's sister! That was the WTH- moment of the book. But I do like when she's teasing Galen!

Then there's the whole "I-like-you-but-you-have-to-marry-my-brother-for-the-greater-good"- thing.. I do like how it was an obstacle on Emma's and Galens' way, but.. it was pretty extreme! I would've been okay with some smaller obstacle, like a lovetriangle. It sort of was, yes, but I can't really appreciate it, when there's no feelings involved.

It may sound like I hated this book, but I actually enjoyed it a lot, believe it or not!
Because somehow the things I just complained about are also the things I enjoyed. Not the beatings, but the whole idea behind it. The jealousy, deception, heartache.. You know, my usual guilty pleasures ;)

If there hadn't been violence, this probably would have received at least four and a half cupcakes! But it was pretty great as it was, and definitely a mermaid story worth reading!

Huge thanks to NetGalley and Feiwel & Friends for providing a reviewcopy!





4 kommenttia :

Suzanne @ Paranormal Book Fan said...

Awesome review. I agree, you put up with a lot more from fictional guys than you ever would in real life :) When this book was on Netgalley I wasn't interested, but now, with reading reviews, I want it lol.

Michelle Chew said...

The start was so funny. I like the character thoughts. I'm going to get this book too! Thanks for sharing your wonderful review. <3

Monaliz said...

And thank you for stopping by, always great to have positive feedback! :) And yeah, the start _was_ funny :D

Monaliz said...

You definitely have to check it out! :D Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz