September 18, 2012

Dust Blog Tour: Cover Interview





Today I'm having a cover interview with Devon Ashley, the author of Dust, which will be released today, and for that is on sale! So make sure to get yourself a copy!






First I'd like to know who makes the beautiful covers, such as the cover of "Dust"? How are they made?

Right now I'm still doing my own by manipulating stock photo.

As you can see, the original photo had really muted colors. I altered the colors on a few objects and adjusted her skin tone to match that of her particular Hollow, then added a few effects to really make the photo pop and glow.

Also, the pic was awkwardly short for a book cover, so instead of trying to elongate her body, I decided to add some water and make it look like she's standing in her Hollow's river.

But the real reason I loved this photo for Dust, besides her being a total nature girl, was how her hands were set up perfectly to throw some pixie dust and make the butterfly a crazy shade of blue! :)

Voila! It's my favorite cover so far!





Here you can see the modifications, click to get a better look!




Where did you get the idea for "Dust" cover?

I was really looking to keep with the title and find something that I could work pixie dust around. I just got really lucky finding this.
The photographer is one of my favorites and he also created the original stock photo for my Falling In Between and Falling Away novels.




Are you a cover snob?

Absolutely! Sorry, but I spend so much time writing, reading, and working on publicity, that I have very little time to really search for new books. For me, the cover means everything.
If you haven't grabbed my attention with it, I'm probably not gonna read the synopsis, and if I haven't done that, I'm not gonna shelve it to-read.

I honestly wish some people would spend the time and put a little more effort into their covers cause so many leave me thinking "yikes!" Especially if they're gonna use the stock photo as is. I realize some people don't have a clue what to do to change it, but neither did I or any of my other writer friends until we actually tried to.
If you can't manipulate it, at least find something relevant to your story. I've read so many descriptions and realized the plot had nothing to do with the cover, which can also turn me off because I feel a little deceived.
It may be pretty, but if it clearly doesn't match, I'm turned off.




Favorite cover of all times (can be from one of your owns)?

Well, as much as I love Dust, I can admit I'm not graphic designer, so there are so many out there that are better. Undead by Kirsty McKay (*click*) cracks me up, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (*click*) is totally creepy with that little girl levitating on the cover, Paranormalcy (*click*) is pretty gorgeous and Sisters Red (*clickclik*) is creepy cool too!



Any specific theme you prefer in cover (people, animal, landscapes, anything really)?

People in action. Like the Rift girl getting ready to use her weapon (*click*).



If you should choose one cover to tattoo in yourself, what would that be?

The Catastrophic History of You and Me (*anotherclick*) would be pretty fun to jump into!



Don't forget to enter to win some of the great prizes in Dustapalooza (yeah, I totally just wrote that :p) and pick DUST up September 18th when I have it on sale for the release day only!




You can find all the blog tour stops here! And Devon is hosting some awesome giveaways, you can enter by filling out the form below!

a Rafflecopter giveaway



4 kommenttia :

Myra White said...

Love the cover interview! I must admit that I'm a bit of a cover snob too. I won't usually buy a book unless it has a brilliant cover, though I will read books with average covers, if someone else gets them for me. ;) ..or if I get them from the library.

CandySmith said...

Gorgeous cover! Great job!

bn100 said...

I like the cover. Thanks for sharing more about it.

Monaliz said...

 I'm a cover snob, too. When browsing through books in GR, I usually first look at the cover, and then the average rating. But if the cover is something I dislike, I may not check the overall rating at all, so I may miss some great books :/
But I already have almost 1000 books in my to-read- pile, so maybe I don't need to add more books to that.. :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz