March 04, 2013

Shadow of Time by Jen Minkman


Shadow of Time
by Jen Minkman


Published: January 1st 2013
Publisher: CreateSpace
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400
FREE ON AMAZON |


All Hannah needs is a nice and quiet vacation after her first year of teaching French at a high school. She joins her brother Ben for the summer in their mom’s log cabin in Arizona. There, she meets Josh again, Ben’s childhood friend from the Navajo reservation. The little boy from the rez has grown up fast, and Hannah can’t help but feeling more for him than just friendship.

But fate apparently has something else in store for her. And it’s not peace and quiet. Night after night, Hannah is plagued by strange nightmares about the past of Navajo Nation and terrifying shadows chasing her. They seem to come closer – and why is Josh always present in her dreams?

Sometimes, the past has a way of catching up with you.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Our main character is Hannah, who is on her way to Arizona, where she's suppose to meet her brother, Ben. Before she gets there, she runs into a hot stranger while fueling up. She's blushing like an idiot, but manages to somewhat get over it, until she realizes The Hottie is Josh, his brother's best friend. He's the guy who used to call her "big sister". And he still is only 17!
Hannah tries her best to get over his hotness, but doesn't really manage that so well. Especially when she sometimes feels like he might feel the same way about her.
And that isn't her only problem; she's started seeing some weird dreams, where Josh is with her. And after first running into three drunken guys, he keeps seeing groups of three men everywhere. Sometimes not even men, but coyotes. You'd be freaking out, too!

Main thing left in my mind about the book was a huge admiration towards the author. Because times and times again I was just astonished her knowledge of Native American culture! She's really done her homework and a whole lot of more on top of that! She knew everything about customs and culture and language and it just kept surprising me over and over again. That's definitely a positive thing. But it also made me wish I was more into Native American culture. Or to any other culture. In school, any class about different cultures or even about history and I was fast asleep. Like in ten seconds! I have no idea how that's even possible, but it's a true story, I swear.
So, there was a whole lot of information in this book. Yet I didn't fall asleep, but I did get distracted occasionally. There was just so much details about a subject I'm not that interested about, so I had to take a lot of breaks. But still, I always came back!

The story was pretty slow paced, probably because of the huge amount of details. That also kept distracting me, and I had to really focus and remind myself that this is a love story and the main focus should be on Hannah and Josh.
In the end, they are a great couple, but Josh was definitely my favorite! Hannah was suppose to be an adult, yet she acts like she's fifteen with all the blushing etc. And the age difference bothered me. And I kept reminding myself that my husband is six years older than me, but then I remember I was 20 when we started going out. Everything was legal. Yes yes, I'm definitely old.

In the end, I didn't really get along with the characters, but still, the main thing on my mind about this book is how talented and passionate the author is. I'm not a fan of Native American culture, and probably never will be, but I hope someone who is will read this. Because this will probably become his/her favorite book, thanks to amazing details and a great love story!


My thanks to the author for providing a copy for review!





0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz