July 29, 2012

By the Pale Moonlight by Jennifer Hendren


By the Pale Moonlight
by Jennifer Hendren


Published: November 2nd 2011
( first publ. October 17th 2011 )
Publisher: Barnes and Noble
Format: Ebook
Pages: 310
Series: Moonlight Series
Source: From the author for
review
Amazon


Makenna Wilhelm knows all of her friends have their quirks, but when Ty shows up naked in her yard one morning, she finds it beyond weird. Stranger still are the deep gashes across Ty’s chest and his sudden ability to hear and smell things that no human should.

During a moonlit night, Ty’s secret is revealed. He’s no longer the boy she’s crushed on forever, but rather a werewolf with one serious aversion for all things silver. Makenna is left wondering if he’s to blame for the recent death of one of their classmates, the apparent victim of an animal attack.

With the help of Melanie, the dead girl’s friend, they manage to shed doubt on Ty’s guilt only to discover Makenna was the intended prey. Even worse, she’s still a target.

In a race against the full moon, the trio struggles to find who murdered the young woman. However, without a way to cure Ty, they have no way of knowing who poses the greater threat: Ty or the unknown enemy.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
This book really brought up some mixed feelings. I definitely wanted to love this, since I fell in love with both the cover and synopsis. And like in any book, there were lots of pros and cons.
Pros, like I mentioned, awesome cover and synopsis. But cons won the race this time. Because in order for me to enjoy this the book there should be some serious editing done.

First of all, it was really hard to keep up with the story! It felt like the characters were just running around, without any clear goal or even a purpose.
For example: Like mentioned in synopsis, it's believed that Makenna was the intended prey and she's still a target. And in this scene I was pretty much like "R U SERIOUS?". Because they base their assumption on the fact the dead girl was wearing Makenna's coat while being attacked. I mean, seriously? That's all you got? The dead girl stole Makenna's coat and was wearing it when attacked, but that's it! Oh, and both girls' hair was remotely same color. But.. Werewolves have pretty great sense of smelling, right?
So that really wouldn't have been enough evidence for me, sorry.

Then there's running around with dog whistle. You heard me right. Like in the synopsis, you would think they would get some silver to reveal the werewolf. If not silver, maybe something else badass werewolves can't stand. But no, they use a freaking dog whistle. And there wasn't even an explanation why and how and when they came up with the plan to use the dog whistle. It was more like "hey look, it's pretty awesome I happen to have a dog whistle in my pocket, let's hunt werewolves with it!". There was lot of that going around, just coming up to conclusion without any kind of reason, so it really was quite hard to keep up with.

This is the last example, I promise. Makenna found out the werewolf attacking "the dead girl" was actually black. So of course she blames the "bad guy" of the school. Because he's the only guy with black hair in your school or in the town?! And she just decided the werewolf's fur color is based on the person's hair color. You've seen one werewolf, so again, little too little evidence?!
And why would "the bad boy" attack Makenna? Well, two years earlier he asked her out, and she said no. Can you imagine that?! And it's so hard for the bad boys to get girls, so of course he still holds a grudge over her! w00000t..?
Okay now I seriously need to change the subject because my head starts to hurt.

I don't have much to say about the characters over all. They were pretty one-dimensional. They were lots of going with Makenna and Ty and their friends, but nothing was really explained. There was very little background about anyone, so it was pretty hard to feel connected. I really didn't care what happened to them, 'cause I didn't feel close to them.

Makenna was pretty much the only character I occasionally had some feeling for. Though that was mostly me going crazy because I was so annoyed with her.
She really isn't likable main character, believe me. She's really superficial and she hangs out with friends who bully everyone else. She has a boyfriend, who is a douche, sleeps with everyone else and is constantly trying to get to Makenna's pants. Yet Makenna dreams about her best friend, Ty, all the time. And when ever they see, she gribs Ty's shirt and hugs him. If I was dating Makenna, I would probably have a problem with her and Ty's hugging. And the mr. Douche obviously knows there's something going on, because he keeps making comments about Ty. Though the background of this is never revealed, so reader's just have to guess why mr. Douche's so pissed off. Like, okay, I know he's pissed to Ty and to Makenna and that's why keep making these douchy comments about Makenna sleeping with Ty, but what happened?! Why does he do that?? It's really frustarting!!
And even though Ty is probably meant to be the second main character, there really isn't much to say about him. He's just some dude, I really don't care.

There really was some huge potential, which why I hate to give a bad review. But when you just can't enjoy the writing, there's not much to do about it.
Though I must admit the huge cliffhanger made me curious. And pissed off. Because it was the only interesting part in the book, so it was too little too late.


My thanks to author for providing a review copy!






1 kommenttia :

monaliu01 said...

Congratulations for this wonderful reading article. I found it very informative and interesting too, I think you are a brilliant writer. I have bookmarked your blog and will return in the future. I want to encourage you to continue that marvelous work, have a great daytime!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China travel | China vacation packages | China city tours

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz