August 15, 2012

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer


Between the Lines
by Jodi Picoult and
Samantha van Leer


Published: June 26th 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Ebook
Pages: 352
Series: -
Source: Provided by Simon Pulse
for review purposes
Amazon |
Book Depository

What happens when happily ever after... isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book — one book in particular.
Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
This really wasn't what I expected! I haven't read anything from Picoult before, but got few of her books on my tbr- pile, and this definitely was something different. At first, I was quite shocked, 'cause I wasn't sure if the story was ever going to be anything but a sappy fairytale.

Luckily, this wasn't the case. We get to meet Delilah, a girl who spends her time reading books. Especially one particular book, over and over again, called "Between the Lines". She knows it's a book for little kids, but she's hooked to happily ever after. And she feels like the prince talks to her. Until one day, he actually does.
After this begins an endless fight to free the prince from the story so he could have a happily ever after with Delilah.

This really was a cute story, and really unique! I especially loved the pictures! It's been a while since I read something with pictures, and it was quite refreshing and gave the feel of a real storybook, even when I was actually reading an ebook.

Every other chapter was from the storybook and every other told from Oliver's or Delilah's POV. I must admit I found myself skipping the storybook chapters, because I couldn't wait to find out what happens next with Oliver and Delilah! And I did prefer Oliver's POV. There's no one good reason why this happened, but it probably had something to do with the fact that Delilah seemed many times like a whackjob! If you have a magical talking storybook, you don't tell about it to anyone. Because you will look like a crazy person and end up in seeing some shrink. I just hate that kind of embarrasment.

I did like both character, but the suffering prince was more to my taste. He's been forced to be certain character for his whole life, when he clearly doesn't enjoy it and just wants to be free.
Delilah does feel she's in the same situation, that she just doesn't belong to her life and is escaping to books. She's an outsider and doesn't really have friends. This does give certain hope to younger readers who feel like they're in the same situation. Just wait, you'll get your prince! ;)

I also love how this book suits to both younger and older readers (and I'm obviously quite a young reader. Just FYI.). I can't wait for this to be published in Finnish so I can get a copy for my little girl. Or we'll just have to wait until she can 1) read and 2) knows English. But I know she'll love the pictures when she's younger, and the story when she grows up.


Thanks to Simon Pulse for providing a review copy!





3 kommenttia :

emaginette said...

It sounds great. :-)

Denice Mae Cordero said...

It sounds cute... So what is the genre of the story? I'm intrigued... Can it be considered Contemporary Romance? Thank for this review!!!

Andreea G. said...

I want to read this.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz