August 09, 2012

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson


If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

Expected publication: August
28th 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Ebook
Pages: 288
Series: -
Source: Provided by Simon Pulse
for review purposes
Amazon |
Book Depository

A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught.

Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep — secrets that aren’t hers to share.

And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend… and her promise.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Quinn lives in a small town where everyone is somehow involved with the military. So when she presumably cheats the town hero, Carey, she's labeled as the town slut. Like her mother was!
Things quiet down, until Carey goes missing. Nobody knows what happened to him. This starts a new wave of bullying and Quinn has no one to turn to. And time after time Quinn wants to come clean and share the secret she's keeping, but it's not hers to tell. Now all she can do is wait for Carey to show up.

I'm definitely not a military fan, almost the opposite, so I could've been fine without the military part in the story. Despite this fact, I was able to push my feelings aside and enjoy the story, thanks to fluent writing and believable characters. This book also deserves some extra brownie points for making me bawl like a baby more than once. Or more than five times..
Mostly in the scenes including George, the old guy. I loved the chemistry between him and Quinn, those scenes were very real and you could sense they really are family.

Quinn herself isn't always the most likeable character, mainly because she just doesn't speak up. She's been tortured for months, but she still won't say anything and she ends up miserable and alone. I get that she doesn't want to tell the truth to complete strangers, but hey, what about Blake? She wouldn't even have to tell the whole truth, but at least something! Things might have gone pretty differently.

There isn't much I didn't like in this book, mainly the military and things related to it. And I figured out Careys huge secret almost the moment I started reading this book. It's actually not anything huge.
Though when you live in an isolated small town where everyone is somehow related to a small minded organization, it can feel huge.
I was also pretty disappointed how the book ends, things were kind of left open, especially romantic kind of things.. And you know how that pisses me off.

But are any of these enough a reason to not to read this book? Definitely not. This was beautifully written story and I'm glad I read it. And now we'll just hope for a sequel.


Huge thanks to Simon Pulse for providing a review copy!





1 kommenttia :

Sherry said...

I need this book like yesterday ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz