October 09, 2012

Rape Girl by Alina Klein


Rape Girl
by Alina Klein


Published: June 4th 2012
Publisher: namelos
Format: Ebook
Pages: 129
Source: Through NetGalley for review
Amazon |
Book Depository

"Hey, look. It’s that girl. That rape girl, right?"

Valerie always wanted to be the smart girl. The pretty girl. The popular girl.

But not the rape girl.

That’s who she is now. Rape Girl. Because everyone seems to think they know the truth about what happened with Adam that day, and they don’t think Valerie’s telling it.

Before, she had a best friend, a crush, and a close-knit family. After, she has a court case, a support group, and a house full of strangers.

The real truth is, nothing will ever be the same.

RAPE GIRL is the compelling story of a survivor who does the right thing and suffers for it. It is also the story of a young woman’s struggle to find the strength in herself to fight back.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Valerie's mum's out of town, so what does a teenager do? Have a party, what else! And the party is kind of fine, never mind the fact she ends up throwing up. All over the guy she has a crush on.
It isn't until the next day, when Valerie's life gets turned upside down. She ends up being raped, and is haunted by the fact she didn't fight back. But she said no, shouldn't that be enough?

First of all, the name is quite extreme. But that's definitely the first thing that caught my eye. It's provoking, but you definitely won't miss this book if you see it!
And the title is quite accurate, since that's what Valerie ends up, a rape girl. She could've just let this whole thing go, but she decides to stand up for the truth, even when it means losing all her friends. But can you really call people who doesn't believe you friends?
But at least she has her family, who believes her, no matter what. Together they try to fight for justice, but sometimes, there just isn't such a thing. So this also becomes a story about surviving, when there's no hope left and you just want to give up.

Valerie definitely grows up during the story, but what else can you expect? First she's this quite naive teenager, who decides to throw a party with her little sister sleeping upstairs (this was pretty horrible!) and drinks for the first time. And has her first hangover. But in the end, she's almost a grown up, who gives support to her mother and learns to live a life with a horrible unjustice. She ends up being a survivor.

The ending left me feeling quite conflicted. I always wish there was at least some kind of a happy ending to everyone, but I guess it just isn't possible to always have the happy ending. Even though the justice wasn't served, Valerie manages to make the best out of her situation, and ends up being stronger than ever. This book also gives the lesson that no matter what, you should speak up, since it may save someone else. And for that, I have to thank Alina, since this really ended up being very inspirational book.


Thanks to NetGalley and namelos for providing a review copy!





4 kommenttia :

PatriciaBookExhibitionism said...

I'm really.. I don't even know how to explain it. I *want* to read this book, but I just think the topic hits too close to home, and if it isn't portrayed the way I "want" to, then maybe I'll feel so mad, that I'll never stop ranting.. Your review certainly tempts me to pick up the title. From what I can see, the end doesn't work out in the way that her rapist gets punished, which is rather realistic, so that's "good", but.. jeez, I don't know. 

Monaliz said...

First of all, it's so great to see you're back, yay!! <3

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear that!
If it's "realistic" you're looking for, this could be something to consider, since everything isn't all happy and pink and sunshine. The main character speaks up, and gets blamed for the rape and, like the title says, becomes "rape girl", since that's what everyone starts calling her in school.
And since the rapist is the popular guy, nothing happens to him. Though if I remember correctly, nearly everyone in this book was mormons?? Which was.. weird :D

PatriciaBookExhibitionism said...

<3 SOO glad to be back. Let's just hope I'll stay. *knocks on wood, throws salt everywhere, doesn't leave house* 

"In an alternate universe where a mormon rapist community breeds women (and sheep, but that's for business), Rape Girl is the only one to speak up. Will her voice be heard, or is she forever going to be the one who said the R-Word? Find out in the upcoming episode of The R-World." 

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. The fact that many folks there were mormon makes me sort of happy. I don't know about the book, though.. Maybe I should put it on my "Keep in mind" list, and if I ever feel up to it, I'll pick it up? Your review is just too tempting. Usually I avoid books with a main topic such as rape right away. Argh. Evil you! ;D 

Monaliz said...

Oooh, your version sounds so intriguing :DDD And definitely put it at least to your KIM- list, maybe one day you'll feel the need to grab it and read it :)
I sometimes just get the urge to read realistic (depressing..) books about difficult subjects, such as this, 34 Pieces of You, 13 reasons why, Hate List etcetcetc., I have a huge list still waiting for me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz