October 12, 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern


Published: September 13th 2011
Publisher: Doubleday
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 387
Source: Borrowed from library
Amazon |
Book Depository

The circus arrives without warning.

No announcements precede it.

It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors.

Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love — a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Did you know there really is magic among us? Or that's what I believe after reading this book. There's two kids, Celia and Marco, who are chosen to be part of some silly competition between Celia's father and Marco's trainer. They don't know the rules, they don't know the game, they just know they have to practise nonstop, so when the time comes, they're ready.
Then the circus comes. Circus filled with magic. And your life is changed forever.

If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be "breathtaking". Beautiful. Seductive. But I do feel conflicted. This book is amazingly visual, if you can say that about a book. There was just this magnificent beauty I can't get over with. And I must admit, I've never read anything like this. Author manages to paint the picture through words, and that is absolutely amazing talent (who can count "amazing"s in this review?). I just wanted to pick a brush and some paint and start painting the circus all over our appartment. I mean, how cool would that be?! Especially since I'm such a fan of black and white (if I could, I'd be wearing this dress nonstop!).
Not only does this author paint a vivid picture, but also manages to feed all the senses. Which you would think is impossible, but apparently not. All the smells and tastes are described so vividly, you can't help but get sucked into the story and picture it all. Actually, live it all.

And then to why I felt conflicted. At first I had some trouble with the Lemony Snicket- kind of voice, especially since I kept hearing the narrator from the movie. So that gave me some trouble, but after the first 50 pages I got over it.
Then there's the competition. I usually have trouble since I'm so curious, and this was the problem this time too. I did realize the basic idea of the competition, but it's really hard to follow competition where there really is no guidelines. What is the goal, when can you say the game is over (well, we did get the answer for that..), what is the point in this competition, what are the rules in magic etc. There just was so many questions and not enough answers.

I also did enjoy the romance, especially the few romantic moments there was. But I still felt like there was something missing, even though they were starcrossed lovers and I absolutely adored them. Guess the ending just kind of bugs me, and just makes me feel lost. I'm not sure if this was happy ending, or bad ending, or just a little satisfying ending or what. I'm officially confused. But still kind of awed most of the time.






0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz