October 30, 2012

Slide by Jill Hathaway


Slide
by Jill Hathaway


Published: March 27th 2012
Publisher:Balzer + Bray
for HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 250
Series: Slide #1
Source: Borrowed
Amazon / UK |
Book Depository

Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth - her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes.
She's slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance.
But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police.
Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting distant lately, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
I've only seen this around like million times so it was about time for me to read it too. And I really liked the synopsis, 'cause the basic idea is pretty intriguing.
Vee is "narcoleptic", though in this case narcoleptic means "slides into someone else's head". It's pretty unpleasant, since she has no idea how to control it, and sees it more like a curse than a gift. And things turn from bad to worse when she accidentally ends up witnessing a murder through the killer's eyes. She has no idea who the killer is, but she's pretty sure her little sister is the next victim. She decides to find the killer and save her sister.
Along the way she manages to take control over her powers, but also wreck some relationships.

Okay, first I was going to give this 4 cupcakes, but as I started writing this, I changed it to 3.5 cupcakes. Because the more I started analyzing this, the more I started to notice some things I wasn't such a huge fan.
First, I really liked the slide- thing, but after a while, I started wondering if there's a reason why Vee doesn't use her "power" in her advantage, or hasn't she realize the possibilities? Well, she was just a little slow, and didn't realize the possibilities.
Other than her little slowness, I did like Vee. She's pretty much a loner, after everything that happened with her cheerleader friends (the same old story, used to be a cheerleader, her friends turned out to be bunch of b*tches etc., the usual way how people end up as loners, at least in books). She has one good friend, Rollins, but he's in love with Vee and that kind of complicates things. Don't worry, that's not really a spoiler, because it's so obvious. He starts acting like a jealouse crazy person the moment Vee starts talking with another boy, Zane.
It was really hard to decide which boy I liked more, because.. well, I liked both. And both had some huge dark secrets that end up causing some huge problems with their relationship with Vee. Though the other one is hiding some pretty bad secrets, but in the end, they're both great guys. Unfortunately Vee never didn't have to choose, because the author took the easy way out, meaning something horrible happens to one of these guys.

Plot was great, but like I mentioned earlier, Vee was pretty slow, meaning there was some very obvious things that took quite long for Vee to notice.
But it still managed to be pretty intense in occasions, even scary. Want to know the part where I jumped off my seat cause I got so scared? This is embarrassing, but here we go..


In my room, I snap on the light, and brightness blinds me. A face captures my attention in the corner of the room, but when I look, I realize it's only the face of the angel on the Smashing Pumpkins T-shirt.



I know, it's now official, I'M A WUSS. But the plot got so intense and then came along that part and I started screaming "OH NO NO NO THERE'S SOMEONE IN HER ROOM!!!!" and nearly started crying. First time ever when I'm scared of a t-shirt. In a book. Yeah, t-shirts are just scary. Time to change the subject.

If I had to compare this book to anything I've read before, I'd have to choose The Body Finder series, which has the somewhat same spirit and the whole "falling-in-love-with-my-best-friend"- thing also going on, though I must admit it was executed better in The Body Finder (..and in TBF, the main character is called Vi. Just saying). In this things were left open and the ending with Rollins was quite.. odd, in the sense of "Look at me, I'm ringing your doorbell after this long time and we're best friends again, let's play Pictionary!". Well, not exactly, but almost.
Plus, Vee chose to dye her hair back and loose the pink colour! No no no. You should have stayed pink, that's all I'm saying.

So, I'm not the biggest fan, but I still managed to enjoy this. And I did read this in one night, so it really wasn't bad! There just was occasionally some moments that made me wonder why Vee is so slow, because hey, they were just so obvious.






2 kommenttia :

Kimberly @ Turning The Pages said...

Great review, I've had my eye on this book or a little while now and I'm hoping to read it soon. Judging by your review I won't be disappointed!
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Monaliz said...

I'm glad to hear that, hopefully you'll get to read this soon! :) And hopefully enjoy it, too ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz