January 16, 2013

Blog Tour: Normalish by Margaret Lesh


Normalish
by Margaret Lesh


Published: October 5th 2012
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Euterpe Young Adult imprint
Format: Ebook
Pages: 175
Source: For review
Amazon |

Fifteen-year-old Stacy questions the strange world of high school, love, her role in a harsh universe, and life, in Normalish.

People tell you high school's so great and wonderful, but they're lying. It's mostly horrible and full of disappointment. It sucks. Your best friend abandons you. The jerk you're in love with pretends to be into you, and then the big dump. The boy you've really clicked with as a friend decides to go all crushy over you, so you break his heart just like yours was -- smashed into little pieces. Your sister goes mental, and you get involved with a guy who’s even crazier than she is (who you know is a very bad idea, but you do it anyway). Math only adds another stink of failure to the whole thing.

High school blows. Just ask freshman Stacy. She’d want you to know.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*


Lately I’ve been thinking about “normal” and how there’s this fine line between being an average, ordinary person and being completely out-of-your-mind crazy.

“Normal” is all about perception. I mean, isn’t “normal” what the majority of people do?
So what if suddenly ninety-nine people out of a hundred decide to walk their iguanas down the street while wearing a tutu? Wouldn’t the one guy who didn’t own an iguana and wear a tutu be the freak?

And isn’t it the ones who seem normal on the outside who, in actuality, know where the bodies are buried in the backyard or are secretly in love with their toaster?




After reading that I knew this was going to be my kind of book! Which was great, since I was on page 2. Totally have to agree with Stacy, especially with the part about those who seem normal. Yeah, I've never been "normal", so even the name was appealing to me.

Stacy is fifteen and in high school. And surprise: high school sucks! Her best friend decides she's just not cool enough anymore, and dumbs her. She's in love with a guy who turns out to be a complete jerk. And her best friend, who happens to be a guy, has a crush on her, and that just.. can't be good. Oh, and Stacy's sister is acting up a little strange, like cutting off her sleeves and stuff. And her dad is dead. So yeah, it's pretty sucky.

After realising Stacy is only 15, I was little iffy, thanks to situation with Confessions of an Angry Girl (too much steamy scenes for a little child!). I was so relieved when I kept reading and noticed this didn't have so much steam, but was a story of a girl who doesn't mind keeping her pants on.
Sure, there's romantic situations, but they are sweet and fitting to a girl her age.

Even though high school was a huge part of the story, it also revolved a lot around Stacy's sister Becca and her getting better. Stacy ends up spending a lot of time in the nuthouse. And of course there's a guy involved. A guy who happens to look like a pirate and is named Bobby.
Man, I just fell in love with that guy! Of course I hoped things would go right for him and Stacy, and I was devastated after.. you know what.
Bobby and Stacy just made me laugh and cry, and then I was crying really hard, and then there was some funny parts and I ended up snorting and sounded like a pig and started laughing harder while crying.. So, thanks for that, my husband already thought I'm not completely sane, definitely didn't lessen his suspicions ;)

This was the first book I read this year, and I'm so glad about it. It only took me a day to read this, since I just couldn't stop reading. I definitely recommend this if you're a fan of YA. And you can definitely try this even if you weren't!

And now, check out the giveaway!


a Rafflecopter giveaway




2 kommenttia :

Giselleco said...

"story of a girl who doesn't mind keeping her pants on" Lol I love this! So happy you enjoyed it, chick! Great review! :)

Monaliz said...

Yeah, I tend to enjoy the small (and weird) things! :D Definitely loved this! :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz