January 02, 2013

Mind Games by Kiersten White

I know, I know, this was suppose to be up yesterday! But we went ice skating and eventually I was so tired! I was asleep by 9 PM :P But here you go!




Mind Games
by Kiersten White


Expected publication:
February 19th 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Mind Games #1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 256
Source: Through publisher
for review purposes
Amazon |
Book Depository

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right.
Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her — except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways... or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other — no matter the cost.



*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
First I have to introduce Mind Games' UK cover, though I'm sure this is no news to anyone.



I really can't say which cover and title I like more, cause they're just so different and both suitable on their own way.

I didn't really know what to expect from this book when I first heard about it, except of course some sort of epic awesomeness, thanks to author.
We have two narratives, Fia and Annie. They're sisters, but that's probably all they have in common. Annie is blind, but sometimes she has visions. But due to her blindness she's also pretty helpless and that makes her an easy prey. And that's the best way to control Fia; threaten Annie. Since Fia has the flawless instincts, she makes a great assassin (hint, the UK name!).

I wasn't a huge fan of Annie. She's blind, but sometimes I got the feeling she really is using her sister. Fia wouldn't have gone to that school if it wasn't for Annie. Fia wouldn't be used, if it wasn't for Annie. And it takes Annie years to realise this. I just feel she uses her sister sometimes too.
But Fia.. I have a total girl crush! And I haven't have one of those in a long time. She's absolutely kickass yet.. she's in her breaking point. She just wants out, but there really isn't way. Until she comes up with a hopefully awesome plan.
There's also some romantic action; the whole story starts when Fia doesn't kill Adam, and she hopes there could be something there, but there probably won't be. And then there's James, who is presented as a villain, but Fia actually really cares about him, even when she knows she shouldn't. And in the end, we might have been wrong about him all along.

Why I chose this to be the first review of this year is because this was one of my most anticipated books coming out in 2013, and I was so happy when I got to read this in 2012! I absolutely loved Kiersten's Paranormal series (and absolutely adored Evie), and couldn't wait to read more from her.
But I must say I was completely taken by surprise when I realised how different Mind Games was from Paranormalcy! Paranormalcy was mostly just absolutely hilarious, so of course I was expecting more of that. But Mind Games.. it's nothing like Paranormalcy. It's dark and sad and even awful sometimes, yet it's amazing. Kiersten has her unique style of writing which captures you from the first page and keeps you glued to the book until you're finished. And then lefts you wishing you already had the second book. And the cliffhanger really doesn't help with that.


My thanks to HarperCollins and Christine!







2 kommenttia :

Leah @ The Pretty Good Gatsby said...

I have an ARC of this! I haven't started it yet, but I was hoping it was as good as it sounded. :) I'm so glad to hear it is!

Monaliz said...

You definitely should read it ASAP! Can't wait to hear what you thought about it :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz