September 29, 2011

Book Review: Reckless by Cornelia Funke



Reckless by Cornelia Funke
Released : September 6th 2010
Publisher: Chicken House
Format : Hardcover
Pages: 345
Source : Library
Buy : Amazon UK / Book Depository






synopsis




For years, Jacob Reckless has been secretly disappearing to another world, a world behind a mirror, a world for which his father abandoned his family. The mirror world is Jacob's escape from reality. It's a place for treasure hunts and magnificent quests. A world where witches haunt the forests and giants and dwarfs roam. A world locked in a deadly war.

Jacob's secret seems safe, until one day his younger brother Will follows him, with disastrous consequence. Faced with a curse that is quickly turning Will to stone, the Reckless brothers are thrust into a race against time to find a cure before Will is lost forever.

Inspired by the Brothers Grimm, master storyteller Cornelia Funke introduces a lush, enchanting world where fantasy meets reality. Reckless is a thrilling adventure, a tale of heroism and loyalty, filled with danger, mystery, and magic--with fairy tales and legends re-imagined as never before.



thoughts




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Remember how I earlier mentioned, that I have some serious issues with German translated to Finnish? Guess the problem isn't with translation, it's the German style of writing. I actually discussed about this with one of my co-workers. It's admirable that someone can describe every little detail and still keep up with the plot. But it's really annoying when someone goes on and on and on and on about every freaking detail there is in the story-world. Just.. come on!

And this book is no exception. There sure is details. Details about the world Jacob is in. A lot. But the important details are missing, details about these people I'm reading about. There's no depth in the characters. That would've saved so much! There's not really much about their history, so they're really hard to connect with.

My favorite times were when they actually felt something! Like when Clara and Jacob ended up kissing, I was just so happy. I know it was wrong, but hey, I can't help it! At that point I was ready to say bye-bye to Will and hoped happily ever after for Clara and Jacob. That would've been so nice.

The end was just.. I don't even know. A little mix of hope and sandness and some other stuff, maybe? I'm always sad, when they're trying to kill off the main character. I felt little hope, since there will be Reckless #2 too. I was sad, since the first book left so many things just hanging. Seriously, I don't know whether to hate or love this book. Okay, it didn't raise that strong feelings, just occasional joy and/or annoyance. The book did get better after the first half of the book, but it took me like a month to get to that point!

So. Not sure if I'll read the part two when it's published. But still, I didn't really hate this and there was some parts I liked. So that's good, right?



Rating:



0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz