June 17, 2012

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore


Angel Eyes
by Shannon Dittemore


Published: May 29th 2012
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Fiction
Format: Ebook
Pages: 320
Series: Angel Eyes Trilogy #1
Source: From NetGalley for
review
Amazon |
Book Depository

Once you’ve seen, you can’t unsee.
Everything changes when you’ve looked at the world through . . .

ANGEL EYES

Brielle’s a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.

Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight.

Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons — and Brielle — can perceive.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
I saw this on NetGalley and since there's angels and demons involved, I just had to read it! Aaaand I was like yay when reading it. Until I was about halfway through and it was just.. nay.

Our main character is Brielle, a ballerina/model who's just lost her best friend and moves back home to live with her dad.
Everything's the same in her hometown, except there's a new guy, Jake. Brielle realizes Jake really isn't like everyone else and soon both's secrets start to unravel.

I'll start with the first half of the book. Brielle comes to her hometown and you're almost immediately pulled inside the story. What is this huge secret Brielle is hiding? We know it's about her best friend, who died, and Brielle blames herself. That's pretty common, but it seems like Brielle really did something and is actually guilty of something.
Then we meet Jake, who seems like a fun guy. He's relaxed and outgoing and you just have to like him. But there's something weird about him, with his hot hands and guardian Canaan.
There's some really funny moments and it's hard to stop reading! All the mysteries just takes a hold of you, and Brielle's and Jake's relationship just sweeps you off your feet.
Jake really makes Brielle open up and even though this is a book about angels and demons, the spotlight is in Brielle and Jake.

Then everything went to h*ll.

I've read many books about angels and demons and they've been great. Angels and demons has been part of the same mythological world as vampires, werewolves, you name it.
And that's what I love! Everything is possible. Especially when author manages to create a whole new storyworld and characters and bring out their original point of view. There might have been a little religion somewhere in the story, especially when angels involved, but those books have been open minded and not preached. There may have been some involment with some gods, but again, without preachy.

I thought this would be one of those books. But then I was proven so, so wrong. I had read first half of the book and was so excited! But then the preaching started and I felt ambushed.
It took me week to finish this book, because I just didn't want to keep reading. As soon as the whole Jesus-preaching started, I wanted to throw the book away and forget about it. I was so convinced I would love this book to the end, so the disappointment was overwhelming. I expected something original and a whole new world, but all I got was the same old things church tells to everyone.
I was also little put off when Jake tells Brielle that one day he'll propose to her. Okay, so now he's promised to marry you some day, so now you can start making out, maybe even get to first or even to second base? Because otherwise it would be so bad to make out with someone. Sure.
I may have been able to keep reading with straight face, but when there was this scene where Jake preaches about his god for like five pages, I just wanted to torch the book. That would have been great opportunity to come up with your own thoughts, but no, author decided it was best to repeat the same old stuff. And if only there had been some logic in it, but no.

So, you can read this, but I only recommend reading the first half of the book, since that was the only enjoyable part. And I would've given one cupcake, but since the start was great, I was forced to give two.

My thanks to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson Fiction for providing a reviewcopy





2 kommenttia :

Suzanne @ Paranormal Book Fan said...

I could have written your review myself. You summed up exactly how I felt. Jake started off with so much potential. I actually got to 75% and just couldn't go on. Awesome review

Monaliz said...

I'm so glad to hear somebody agrees! :) And yeah, I managed to finish this book, but I was moaning in pain after the first half of the book :/ I just couldn't give up, though I wish I had..!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz