June 11, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen



Dark Kiss
by Michelle Rowen


Published: May 22nd 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Ebook
Pages: 304
Series: Nightwatchers #1
Source: From NetGalley for review
Amazon |
Book Depository

I don't do dangerous.

Smart, ├╝ber-careful, ordinary Samantha — that's me.

But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me.. something strange.

Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing — and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me.

But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Like with everyone else, the cover was the first thing I noticed. It's just amazing! Even the Elvis-hair. So, of course I had to see if the story was as good as the cover, and I was thrilled to find amazing story inside amazing covers!

We get straight to action when Sam is approached by her longtime crush. And he doesn't hold back! That's when Sam gets the most intriguing kiss ever. Though it's not such a good thing, cause that's when she losts her soul. Wasn't worth it, right?
Not long after that, Sam meets Bishop. A crazy streetkid, or that's what she thinks at first. Not long after we'll find out there's demons and angels involved, and that's never a good omen!

I really liked Sam as a character. She's genuine and loyal and still has something dark inside her. Though I must admit that I was occasionally annoyed by her saintness. You can be good without being naive. But it wasn't that bad, and I do admit that I'm hard to please! Sometimes I call female lead heartless, sometimes whiny and stupid. Sam was pretty well in balance, so I still was able to enjoy her part in the story.
I was little put off by the fact that everyone thinks Sam is something special. Okay, maybe not ordinary people, but every single supernatural she meets is like "Oooh, you so special!" the minute they see her. After a while it got kind of old, and I started to think "yeah, we got it, you're freaking special. Get over it!!".

Then there's the crazy, yet so hot, streetkid. Who isn't actually a streetkid, and since there's angels and demons involved.. Well, try guessing which he is ;)
Anyhow, I did like Bishop's (that's the crazy dude) character, but sometimes he just was missing.. character. Yeah. He's one of those stoic warriors, so guess that's traditional or something. But he's a fine guy, I guess.
Though I didn't really get the whole destined-to-be-together-thing with Sam and Bishop. You know, the mysteriuos connection which gives Bishop some sanity and makes them so drawn to each others. We'll probably find out the reason for this at some point, but it still bothers me a bit. Yeah, I love it, but they don't even know each other.
Nearly forgot that Bishop lost some points in the end of the book, when we'll find out the reason why he became an angel (or a demon, you don't know that yet!).

My favorite secondary character was without doubt Kraven! And there was some hint about a lovetriangle, and I actually wish Kraven gets the girl!
Because, like I mentioned earlier, Bishop did lack some character, when Kraven has twice as much. He's snarky and sarcastic and all evil, but actually quite a puppy and you just wanna cuddle him and let him sleep in your bed and.. *drooool* Yeah, I may have a thing for him.

This was definitely an entertaining read and it did have a little twist of its own, so it wasn't a replay of Hush, hush. I especially enjoyed the idea of angels and demons joining their forces! I know, that was a secret I wanted to keep, but it was one of this books original twists, so I couldn't hide it ;)
Hope you'll get your copy soon and start reading ASAP!

Huge thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin for providing a reviewcopy!





2 kommenttia :

Suzanne @ Paranormal Book Fan said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. It didn't appeal to me too much and I didn't really like Sam. I thought this book was very bland. Kraven was my favourite of the characters, and I agree, it would be more fun if he got the girl :) Great review

Monaliz said...

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Kraven then! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz