September 20, 2012

Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman



Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft
by Jody Gehrman


Published: June 30th 2012
(first published June 29th 2012)
Publisher: Magic Genie Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 300
Series: Audrey's Guides #1
Source: From the author for
review
Amazon |
Amazon UK

Falling in Love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer — it’s all in a day’s work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training.

When her mother goes missing and her twenty-one-year-old witchy cousin shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something’s gone horribly, dangerously wrong.

Now it’s up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother’s secret past.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
You know those days when you just know there's something wrong, but don't know how you know it? Well, Audrey's having that kind of day. Plus, she's seeing things. And accidentally doing some magical things she can't understand.
Unfortunately her gut feeling is right, and there's definitely something going on with her mother, who just disappeared. Their cousin Sadie says she's just taking care of some family business, but something doesn't seem right. Not even with Sadie, who seems to have some special powers of her own.
Like this isn't enough, Audrey also falls in love for the first time and also discovers that she is, in fact, a freaking witch! Who says it's easy being teenager?

First of all, the cover. I do love it, but it still scares me a little bit! I don't know what it is, but something just freaks me out in this. Maybe it has something to do with the girls posture, because sometimes it looks like I'm seeing her back and her head is in odd position and I start thinking about The Exorcist and spinning heads and just wanna hide under the bed. Maybe I do have too wild imagination..

Plot was really enjoyable, and not too predictable, which is always a pleasant surprise! There's also the instalove, but in this case it didn't annoy me, yay! There's so many books with instalove nowadays I sometimes get pretty fed up, but it's all about the execution and this time it really did work. There's also some explanation for this kind of phenomenon so it didn't bug me.

Almost the first thing in the book was Audrey putting some spells on a cheerleader. Who wouldn't love that?? Just priceless! And Audrey trying out her new powers lead to some comical situations, which really made me fall in love with this book.
There's also some scary stuff going on, but luckily those parts weren't too scary, because then I wouldn't have been able to finish the book. And we also get the explanation for Audrey's power and that's bit of a shock, but I'm not gonna spoil it! ;)
Oh, and I absolutely loved the delicious little detail with the recipes, definitely have to try them out!

There's also good variaty in characters and the author managed to give each of them their own voice. I loved Audrey, who is quite self-conscious and insecure, but I also liked Sadie, who also is one of the author's favorite characters (referring to the interview we had earlier)! And I also have to agree that Megan is quite bratty, but you still have to like her. Little sisters usually are pretty bratty and annoying, believe me, I know! ;)

Overall, this was really enjoyable read with humour and magical situations, and I can't wait to read the second book!


Huge thanks to Jody for providing a review copy, this definitely ended up to one of my favorites!





2 kommenttia :

emaginette said...

I've got the book, but haven't started it yet. I feel very encouraged to get to it. :-)

Monaliz said...

 You definitely should, it _rocks_! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz