September 10, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown


Lies Beneath
by Anne Greenwood Brown


Published: June 12th 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Format: Ebook
Pages: 288
Series: Lies Beneath #1
Source: Through NetGalley for review
Amazon |
Book Depository

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids.
To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge.
They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.

It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love--just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.

One thing's for sure: whatever Calder decides, the outcome won't be pretty.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
I really don't know what to say about this. This wasn't bad. But there really isn't anything remarkable about this either. I had high expactations, since this was the first mermaid story with evil mermaids. I wanted to hate and love these creatures, but instead I ended up just blah. Blah = I didn't hate or love anything. I actually can't even remember most of the story! And I had some hard times reading this, since I ended up bored so many times.
It wasn't badly written, but there was just something missing. I didn't feel the rush and didn't have the urge to finish the book right away. That ended up being a total reading-blah, meaning I didn't get to read anything since I decided I should finish this first.

No surprise, I don't have much to say about the characters. I did like Calder, mostly because there was something humane in him. Though the stalking creeped even me out! Usually I don't mind a little stalking, but this was totally over the top. It was creepy.
Other characters.. I have hard time even remembering them.

The plot was very predictable, and that's probably the main reason why I ended up being bored. And usually I'm a fan of clich├ęs! I don't get it either.
So this wasn't the best read of all times. It was occasionally entertaining, but I doubt I'll be reading the second book. Though I did hear it's from Lily's POV, so maybe I'll give it a shot after all. That might just add more personality to the story and make it more interesting.


Thanks to NetGalley and Delacorte Books for Young Readers for providing a review copy!





3 kommenttia :

rogier said...

agreed bleh . gr8 review

Monaliz said...

Thanks! It's great to hear people agree :) And thanks for stopping by!

Devon said...

Ditto. And I still can't get figure out why there's a mermaid on the cover instead of a merman. Although it would have worked great for the next book if it really is in Lily's POV.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz