December 21, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton



Everneath
by Brodi Ashton


Published: January 24th 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins / Balzer + Bray
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 370
Series: Everneath #1
Source: Borrowed from library
Amazon |
Book Depository

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished,
sucked into an
underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans.

Now she's returned - to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything.

But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Now I've read this twice, but for some reason I didn't manage to write the review on the first round. But apparently I did make some notes back then! So, I shall quote myself:


my problem: reason why Nikki chose to leave with Cole. Weird how people reacted to her after she came back; where's the police? Her dad's just mad and thinks she's been involved with drugs? How come he didn't ask more about her whereabouts?? Her relationship with her "family" was quite odd, nothing like her and Jack's.



Okay, so I suck at making notes, since even I can't understand half of that. But it's weird how those things bothering me back then didn't even cross my mind this time, and it's also nice to see that even though I'm thinking about different things, I'm still going to give the same rating I gave back then.
But I have no idea what I was thinking when writing those notes. Note to self: MAKE BETTER NOTES.

The book starts with Nikki surviving The Feed in Everneath. It's been a century in Everneath, six months on the human world. Everyone thinks she just took off and has being doing drugs this whole time, and you can't really blame them, since Nikki looks like.. well, like she's been doing drugs for the past six months.
But the truth is, she's lucky to even remotely look like her old self, since that's not what usually happens to humen during The Feed.

Okay, I have to agree little to my earlier thoughts, it is a little odd how everyone's just assuming something and really don't care about the truth. Except Jack, but that's no surprise, since they're like soulmates or something.
But then again, I would be pissed off too, if my daughter just disappeared for six months. Enough of that.

It took me a while to realise the whole Hades and Persephone- thing going on. And usually I'm a huge fan, since I love retellings, but for some reason not this time. Probably cause they aren't Hades and Persephone, living the myth for the first time, but merely telling about a myth that may have happened. Yeah, not such a huge fan of that part, guess I just was expecting something else completely.

Then there's the boys. In the right corner, we have Jack: The loyal puppy with his brown eyes (I'm pretty sure his eyes are brown?). And in the left corner we got Cole: The charismatic bad boy who plays in a band and lured Nikki to Everneath. Yet underneath everything that may actually be some sort of heart that beats for Nikki.
Guess who I like more? That's no pickle, I'm definitely fan of Cole. Yeah, he took Nikki to Everneath, but Nikki was willing. Though he may have manipulated her a little, but hey, Nikki herself expected the worst and took off with Cole. I think that was a sign that she should stay with Cole. They were together for 100 years and didn't get bored to each other, doesn't that count for something?! That's a lot more you can say about Jack's and Nikki's relationship ;)

When I finished reading this, I nearly threw my phone to the wall, cause I had no idea there was going to be more books and there was a huge cliffhanger and I was just so mad when this was over! Guess that's a pretty good indicator for how much I enjoyed reading this book :)




0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz