December 14, 2012

First Light by Samantha Summers


First Light
by Samantha Summers


Published: May 12th 2012
Format: Paperback
Pages: 367
Series: Project Five Fifteen #1
Source: Received for
review purposes
Amazon |
Book Depository

What do you do when you've always dreamed of a hero; your knight in shining armour, only to find when he arrives he isn't a hero at all? ... He's a killer.

Ronnie Rose is trying to cope with the loss of her father; now it looks like she might lose everything else that's dear to her too. Huge debts threaten to destroy her family, her childhood home and her future.
Only one person cuts through her pain. Kalen Smith has just moved to town. He's trouble and everyone knows it.
He and his mysterious friends keep to themselves and the town likes it that way. But when Kalen mourns at her dad's funeral, Ronnie wants to know why and her investigation plunges her into a dangerous world of murky government secrets, with deadly consequences.
Ronnie knows she should walk away from Kalen before it's too late. Problem is, she's falling for him...

Can we choose who we fall in love with?




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
My expectations with this: "OMG!, I have to love this book, since the guy is an assassin, for crying out loud! How awesome is that?!" And yeah, at first I liked the story, but then.. I just lost interested.

It's just Ronnie and her sister after their father dies. During his funeral, Ronnie sees Kalen, the notorious assassin boy! Though she doesn't know that, just that he's "trouble".
And of course she's baffled by the fact that Kalen dares to show up to her father's funeral, especially since there shouldn't be any connection between them. Aaaand this is how their story begins.

At first, I really liked Ronnie. She's really nice and sweet and all that, but also quite tough, considering how she's handeling their father's death.
But after time, I had to change my opinion about her. Because what first seemed like being nice and considerate, turns into her being a total pushover. Whether it's her sister or sister's ***k of a boyfriend, she just let's them walk over her. Grow some backbone!
I don't know if it's because of Kalen, but after he comes to the picture, she just losts her ability to take care of herself or to stand up to herself. She's just not that tough anymore. And yeah, it's great if you can be tough yet vulnerable, but if you lose any kind of ability to make decisions for yourself.. BAD!

And Kalen is the complete opposite, meaning he's "being the man". Someone mouths off to your woman? You beat him up! Just "I'm a man. Me hunt meat for my woman. Me caveman. GRRRR."
And do I remember wrong, or was there some part where the villagers were going to hunt Kalen down with torches and pitchforks, or was there just some moment that made me think of that scene??

Oh well. I didn't completely hate it. I liked the beginning, and I quite liked the ending, but wasn't a fan of the middle part. Which was basically most of the book..
Will I read the next book? I was convinced it would be another assassin's story (you know, the other guys hanging out with Kalen), so my answer was absolutety not. But after realising I was wrong, I may have to consider reading the second book too.






0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz