December 31, 2012

Mini Reviews: Poison Princess & Shatter Me

Sorry guys, this was suppose to be up by yesterday (..or day before that..), but I got distracted. First I started playing a game (or The Game for me, man how I still love that game! Seriously hooked again.) and last night when I was suppose to write, I started knitting some mittens (except in baby blue and -pink! Cause I'm just so hardcore mature!) and there was Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang in the TV so.. no writing.
Okay, I'm just a lazy b**tard, sue me! (Please, don't.)

But the year will end soon (in a few hours!), so here's this years final reviews!





Poison Princess
by Kresley Cole


Published: October 1st 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Format: Ebook
Pages: 320
Source: Through Pulse It
Amazon |
Book Depository

She could save the world — or destroy it.

Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side….



*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Okay, so the beginning was little odd, since I was convinced Evie's going to be slaughtered right away and I thought well, that sucks and is kind of disappointing!
Then we jump back in time and it's kind of slow at first. Evie thinks she's crazy and her mum thinks she's crazy, so she spent the summer in the nuthouse. When she goes back to school, she meets the new guy, Jackson, who just makes her mad.

After a while her visions come true and the apocalypse arrives! She manages to survive with her mother and then finds out Jackson is alive too and together they start the most eventful journey.

This was just.. This rocked, I don't know any other way to put it! Evie realises she's not completely "normal" and there's also other kids with weird abilities. They ran into at least to three of them, I especially enjoyed the part about the Bringer of the Doubt ;) There definitely was some doubt going on!

Evie and Jackson make the ultimate couple, even though Evie is the nice girl and Jack the bad boy, luckily that didn't bother me that much.

And the ending.. Torture, I tell you! Evie finally realises what she's capable of, and now I just want to know what happens with Jackson!!! I was absolutely awed with Evie and her powers, it was just so freaking awesome and original! And when Jackson sees Evie.. Damn, broke my heart!

Yeah, I need to buy this, like now.


My thanks to Pulse It for the review copy!





Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi


Published: November 15th 2011
Publisher: Harper
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 338
Source: Borrowed
Amazon |
Book Depository

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.



*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Another book that made me wonder: "WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG BEFORE I READ THIS!??!?!" Still wondering that, but the main point is, I read this and loved it. I know, there's the whiny MC with somewhat instalove and really weird lovetriangle, but.. Hey, heart wants what it wants!

Sooo... Juliette's been in the nuthouse (hey, another one!) for almost a year, until one day she gets a roommate! And it's a boy! And soon Juliette realises that she knows that boy and kind of feels betrayed, until it's revealed he's on her side. Now all they have to do is break free from her prison, where she's hold as a prisoner by Warner, a dude who has some mummy issues.

Yeah, there could've been so much for me to hate. Like some strike-throughs, lot of metaphors (okay, I didn't get them all!), weird lovetriangles etc., but when you combined those elements, they just worked.
And what I mean by weird lovetriangle.. There's Adam, which is understandable, but then there's also Warner, who wants to own Juliette. I just find it disgusting yet so awesome. There isn't really anything romantic in their "relationship", it's actually revolting, but it really doesn't take any romance to have the hots. Seriously, you don't have to like each other, you can find each other awful and disgusting, but still can have the hots.

"Warner grips my hips and allows his hands to conquer my body.
He tastes like peppermint, smells like gardenias.
His arms are strong around me, his lips soft, almost sweet against my skin.
There’s an electric charge between us I hadn’t anticipated."


My point exactly.

I also should've been bothered by the fact that nearly every guy around found Juliette attractive. But.. there isn't exactly that many girls around (like none), and probably even ugly girls start looking hot at some point. So I'm not sure she's actually that attractive ;D Yeah, she probably is, but.. Yeah.
Aaaand Juliette is pretty insecure and miserable and blames herself for things not her fault, but what can you expect after miserable life where no one's ever been nice to you?? It would be rational to say "it's not my fault that stalker is doing that", but people many times act irrational, so, again, didn't bother me.

Now I just have to wait for the second book, hopefully I'll be getting it ASAP! Only like over a month to go.. *sigh.*







2 kommenttia :

Soma Rostam said...

WOW! Two awesome reviews. I have not read any of them. But they sound so awesome. And after your review, I am so adding them to the top of my TBR!

Your reader,
Soma
http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

Monaliz said...

You're too sweet! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz