May 27, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth



Divergent
by Veronica Roth


Published: May 3rd 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 487
Series: Divergent #1
Source: Borrowed from library
Amazon |
Book Depository

Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life.

Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite.

To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage.

Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger.

Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Finally! It only took me ages to read this, but now I finally made it! And I wasn't disappointed.
I do get the the hype around this book, even though this isn't that different from all the other dystopian books. So there's not that much originality, but at least it's an entertaining package!

Beatrice turns sixteen, which means she has to choose between five factions, and like said before, each faction represents a virtue (Honesty, selflessness, intelligence, bravery, peacefulness). After some complications, she decides to choose Dauntless, who are the brave ones.
This did confuse me a little. Like, the selfless ones can also be honest and peaceful. And they should want to be those things. So how come there's so small amount of divergents? Or did I miss something? Maybe I did, but luckily this didn't bother me that much.

Anyhow, back to business. So, Beatrice, aka. Tris becomes Dauntles. And their "brave" means actually stupid brave, meaning jumping from moving things and high places. Doing everything that can get yourself killed! Why wouldn't that be fun..
There Tris meets Four, who is her instructor. And finally they fell in love. But then everything goes down the hill, since of course there's always a bad guy, who wants to rule the kingdom.

I have to admit that Tris isn't my favorite main character of all time. There's must something about her that's a little off. It's really hard to explain! I just didn't always like her, guess that's the problem. But, I still didn't hate her and in some occasions I thought she was pretty kick ass. Maybe just little too heartless sometimes.

Then there's Four. And the romance. Of course, I loved it! Especially when Tris is in trouble and Four, the knight in shining armour, runs to her help. Mmmmmmm, love it! Though there could have been more of that "he loves me- no, he hates me- no, loves - hates - etc.", but I'm happy there was even little of it.
There was huge, I mean gigantic, amount of action. I would've trade some of it to romance in a minute, because I just felt dizzy! There was no relaxed moments, which was quite exhausting. Though all the action guaranteed I couldn't put the book down.
And that's why I need to start reading Insurgent ASAP. So don't worry, you know what I'll be doing if it gets quiet around here!




3 kommenttia :

Edward said...

I'm glad that you enjoy this one. Fantastic review! :D

Kari Po-Ku Reads

April David said...

Oh I was hoping that you'll love it as much as I did, but at least you really did enjoyed it. This is my most favorite book and I love Tris and Four. Insurgent is more action-packed, and it is frustrating at the same time. But great as ever. Good luck! =) Wonderful review!

Monaliz said...

Thank you, always good to hear that somebody is able to read my ramblings ;D
And if there's even more action in Insurgent, I may actually faint with exhaustion xD

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz