May 01, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa



The Immortal Rules
by Julie Kagawa


Published: April 24th 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Ebook
Pages: 485
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Source: From NetGalley for review
Amazon |
Book Depository


In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what — and who — is worth dying for.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Can you believe this is the first book I've ever read from Julie Kagawa? I know I can't, I've meant to read Iron Fey series for ages, but as many readers know, there just isn't enough time!
Well, I wasn't disappointed! Even though I was expecting lots and lots of romance, there actually wasn't that much. But thanks to good plot, it didn't bother me :)

In the beginning, Allie is just a scavenger, trying to survive in a world ruled by vampires. But after one unfortunate incident, she becomes a vampire herself. This obviously isn't easy for her, since she's hated vampires all her life and considers them monsters. And it doesn't get easier when she's forced to flee her city.
But even though she considers herself a monster, she's doing everything she can to hold on to her humanity.

I really liked Allie as a character. She's stubborn and cute and she's a born leader. I just love how she doubts herself, but still does everything she can to live. She's a fighter, and I just love that!
Though it was heartbreaking to see how she trusts people who aren't worth it.

I also liked Zeke and Kanin. Zeke is suppose to become a leader, but he's still not too tough or rude or anything like that. A little too nice, so nice that he'll just gets himself hurt. Like Allie often tells him.
Kanin is a stoic mentor with awful past. A past he's tormented by, and can't move on. We'll probably see more of him in the next book (which will be next year, OMG, poor guy will be tortured for a whole year! *sob*), or let's just say hopefully.

Can you guess my least favorite character? If you guessed Stick, you're right! I just can't stand that kind of characters (or people!), who doesn't have any kind of backbone and who are willing to stab their best friend (who sacrificed themselves for that a$$!) in the back. That kind of people just suck so bad. I wish he'll face the most horrible kind of death. Nice, aren't I? :)

BTW, a fair warning: prepare yourself to some serious walking! I'm not kidding, this whole book is filled with walking. And I don't know what's my problem with walking, I just don't really like that kind of books.
Maybe I'm just so freaking lazy, that I prefer reading books where MC just sits on her/his ass and thinks. How lazy can a person be??
Even though there was lots of walking, I didn't end up hating this book. Hooray for that! :)
Because I just loved Allie, the katana swinging cutie, she just made my day! I can definitely recommend this to anyone looking for some serious ass kicking with some sweet romance! :)
Remember to watch the trailer, I just love it!



My thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for providing a review copy! :)





2 kommenttia :

Laurathomas61 said...

I am so glad you liked this. I received it for review and have been hearing all kinds of comments about it. Some liked it and some loathed it. Hmm!

Monaliz said...

Yeah, there's some quite iffy-elements, but when you combine them all, it's definitely a great read! :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz