April 13, 2012

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting



The Body Finder by
Kimberly Derting


Published: February 15th 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins/TN
Format : Paperback
Pages: 328
Series: The Body Finder #1
Source : Bought from
Book Depository
Amazon |
Book Depository


Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability.
While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies — or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer — and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly.
But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Violet is in love with her best friend. And she can "hear" dead bodies. Isn't that intriguing or what? I've never heard a story exactly like this before, so I was beyond excited to read this.
And I really wasn't disappointed. Kimberly Derting managed to tell a sweet and innocent love story of two best friends falling in love. That was one of the two main plots. The other one scared me speechless. Since there's insane serial killer killing off young girls.

The most terrifying part in this book was when author wrote from the serial killer's point of view. Because she really did a good job, and I really didn't like to be inside killers head! It was really scary. Few times my phone rang during these parts and I nearly peed my pants! I was seriously scared in few occasions. And it was kind of thrilling, since nowadays I avoid scary books on purpose. But because of the supernatural elements and young love, I didn't find this book too scary. By the way, this was the first time I've read about two best friends falling in love, and I absolutely loved it. I had a suspicion it might be boring, since they've known each other always etc., but I was glad to see I was proven wrong, and I actually want to read more books containing this little twist.

As mentioned earlier, what makes Violet so special is her ability to hear dead bodies, especially those who's been murdered. No surprise, she doesn't think her "talent" is an actual talent, or useful in any way.
So it's nice to see how she starts using her abilities for the "greater good", but it's still quite creepy and scary as hell! It's creepy enough how she starts digging up bodies, but when she goes after the killer, I was actually physically terrified.

I don't do scary books, so I was surprised to find this a great read. So, if you're up to be scared speechless and don't have any heart condition, feel free to grab yourself a copy!
I just received the second book from the series and the third, The Last Echo is released in few days, so I'm all giddy now!






3 kommenttia :

Stephanie O'Neil said...

This sounds so good! I love scary books and I love it when we get inside the killers head. I'm weird. :) I have to start this series soon!

Monaliz said...

You definitely should! :) And I definitely should continue reading this series!

RebeccaAlora said...

This sounds absolutely scintillating. I must read more!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz