April 02, 2012

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter



The Goddess Test by
Aimee Carter


Published: April 19th 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Format : Paperback
Pages: 293
Series: The Goddess Test #1
Source : Borrowed
Amazon |
Book Depository


It's always been just Kate and her mom — and her mother is dying.

Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home.

So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing.
He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld — and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy — until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead.
Now saving her mother seems crazily possible.

If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
As the synopsis tells us, Kate's mum is dying of cancer, and wants to move her hometown, Eden. While waiting for her to die, Kate attends school and actually manages to find a friend, a boy called James with big ears.
And of course, there's the queen bee Ava, who just wants to trick Kate, not actually be her friend. What a surprise!
Well, that doesn't end up so well, but luckily Henry comes to rescue. And eventually Kate will be trying to pass the seven tests to become the queen of the Underworld.

I know, another book about Greek mythology! I've read few of those now, but I'm so happy that this also managed to have it's own voice, and wasn't just a copy of a copy of a copy. Phew.

I must warn you, if you wish to read a book about Greek mythology with 100% accuracy, I suggest you pass this one. This is more like Greek gods go carebear and Hades goes emo, but if you like good fiction with huge amounts of romance, you are in for a treat.

As a character, Kate's kind of annoying. She's the sweet little mother Theresa, so no wonder she bugs me sometimes! If asked, she would probably sacrifice herself for a butterfly, cause, you know, that butterfly is like so amazing and precious and deserves to live so much more than she does!
But, she'll grow on you. Damn. Be warned.
So in the end, I didn't hate her, just wanted things to go okay.

Before Goddess tests, Hades was married to Persephone, but that marriage hit the rocks. And that is how Hades became the moping emo.
And that's what he does most of the time, mopes. And is being all stoic and stiff. So as a character, he's not the most likable. Hot, but not really raising any strong feelings.
Except of course there's that little cavewoman screaming inside you "Oh, alfa male, ravish me!", but let's just forget about that..

And then the guy with the big ears! I think I fell in love with him! And I mean the second his big ears were mentioned. So, now I of course wish that he and Kate would have their happily ever after with some juicy triangle drama. ♥ Shame on me.
He was just more alive and a little evil and he has some big ears. Gosh.

I'm fine with some carebear gods and moping Hades, I just want more of this!






9 kommenttia :

Em said...

Thanks for another great review.:-)

Just a heads-up. I'm moving my blog to

http://emaginette.wordpress.com/

Please follow me at my url. Thanks a bunch. :-)

Monaliz said...

Yup, following! :)

Zaturna said...

Yey

Ashna Banga said...

I kind of like Greek myths, though not much of romance. Still, this review has made me want to read this one! :)

Monaliz said...

Always glad to hear! :)

Livia ~ BoM Books said...

Haha, loved your review! I liked this book, though I confess I liked book #2 in the series considerably more. More gods action in it, and of course more emo Hades, haha.

New follower, btw. And your sweet blog is sweet xD

Monaliz said...

I read the second book too, and there's definitely more action :D And moping Hades.. And jealousy, yay!

I've tried to write a review, but managed to get flue, so can't write anything right now :D

Livia ~ BoM Books said...

Oh bummer, the flu sucks. Hope you'll get better soon!
Yeah, more action, more of the romantic triangle thing going on, though that ending sucked. I mean, I just hate it when novels end with that kind of cliffy, you know? I especially hate waiting for a year to find out what's gonna happen. Thank God there are something like 1000 other books I wanna read to keep my mind occupied :D

Monaliz said...

I know, I hated the ending, I'm not a fan of huge cliffhangers! But like you said, there's thousand books to read while waiting for the third book! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz