April 16, 2012

Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers

Hello, lovelies! I just wanted to let you know that I started in a new job today (as a trainee), but hopefully that won't stop me from reading and writing! :) But don't get afraid if I start writing some disturbing stuff ;D It's just the sleep deprivation talking!



Grave Mercy
by R.L. LaFevers


Published: April 3rd 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Format : Ebook
Pages: 528
Series: His Fair Assassin #1
Source: Received from NetGalley for review
Amazon |
Book Depository


Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old.

Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts — and a violent destiny.

If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death.

To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany — where she finds herself woefully under prepared — not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make.

For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?




*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
Ismae is a kick-ass heroine. That pretty much sums it up! She's been abused by men through her life, until suddenly she's saved. After that some kick-ass nuns will teach her how to become an assassin. You just have to love the sound of that. It's nearly poetic! Even my husband found that intriguing.

Not long after her first assignment Ismae is sent to high court with mysterious man (yes, there's always a mysterious man!), Duval. After a while, she manages to get over her hate for men (at least somewhat) and starts having romantic feelings about Duval.

First of all, I loved the romance. It wasn't instant love-at-first-sight, but you could sense there's some kind of attraction and I just loved how it was described step by step, slowly increasing into something real. It was just.. lovely. Beautiful.
Some may not like when every little detail was described, but I love details like that. It just makes it feel more real.

Wanna guess my least favorite part? Oh, the politics! I hate them in real life, and I hate to read about them. Yet it didn't bother me as much as I expected.
Though it might have something to do with the fact that the politicians were dropping dead left and right! Something I miss about those days ;)

I loved the ending, I love happily-ever-afters, as we all know. And I was so excited when the book ended and I just wanted to know how Ismae's story continues, since I expected the second book to be about her too.
Unfortunately, it was revealed that the second book won't be about Ismae! Damn! But about her loony friend. For some reason, I wasn't that thrilled anymore.
I presumed we would see more about Ismae and what her life will be like, but instead we'll get story about another nunchaku-nun (sort of), who will undoubtedly also find true love etc. Somehow, I just feel like it cheapens this book. Since this was such a great book and I want to see more Ismae! And I don't want this to be one of those stereotypical "ah-how-my-loins-ache!"- historical romance novel series. It's hard to explain this feeling. Guess I just want to only see Ismae, since she's one of a kind and that makes her important.

If I won't hear more about Ismae, my heart will break a little, because she's just lovely. And kick-ass. Which makes a great heroine!

Huge thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for this book, I just loved it! :)







6 kommenttia :

Daniƫlle @ Daily Dose of Books said...

Great review, I want to read Grave Mercy so badly!

ilovebooks1972 said...

I also liked this book. Your review is great! Check out my thoughts here:
http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2012/03/grave-mercy-his-fair-assassin-1-by.html

Suzanne Finnegan said...

I totally agree. I thought a second book would be the continuation of Ismae and Duval. I don't think I'll be as interested in it without them.

Monaliz said...

I'm so glad to hear someone thinks so too! :) Thanks for stopping by!

RebeccaAlora said...

EEPP!! I'm going through my neglected subscription list and there are SOOO many blogs that are reviewing this book. I don't think I've heard a bad thing yet, though now that I've said it I've probably jinxed it, and I'm totally jonesing for more!!

Great review. I love your honesty.

Rebecca @ Vicariously

Monaliz said...

Aww, thank you! :) It's good to hear, since honesty is the most important thing in reviews for me! :)
Thanks for stopping by, followed you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz