January 03, 2012

Busting the Newbie Blues






Busting the Newbie Blues is an event hosted Small Review!


When did you start your blog?

I started my blog last summer, July to be precise.

Do you ever still feel like a newbie?

Only every other day! And sometimes every day, all the time.

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far? Did you make any mistakes new bloggers can learn from?

Well, the biggest challenge probably is schedule and how to find time to write posts.

Though even bigger might be my problem with writing reviews. I do love to write them, but once I get excited about reading, I forget everything else! I read 5 books in a row, and forget to write the freaking reviews. And then it's month later and I should be able to say something about the book. *sigh*

Now I'm trying to behave.

What did you find most discouraging about being a new blogger? How did you deal with this?

I had no idea how to get readers, which was just so disappointing. And I wasn't sure, if I can even write reviews! And every time I got declined for a book in Netgalley, I felt down.

Then I decided, that if my reviews suck, too bad. If I don't get any readers, I'll write for myself. Even though it will be lonely, I'd survive!

And I get it, everyone can't get books in Netgalley, but it still hurts a little sometimes.

I have this habit of second guessing everything, so I was terrified when I started my blog!

What do you find most encouraging?

When I get comments to my blog! Then I know that someone actually reads my posts! I feel certain pride everytime.

Same happens when an author asks for a review. I feel all warm and fuzzy.

If you could go back in time and speak with your newbie self, what five bits of wisdom would you tell yourself?

One, don't worry about the followers. Two, relax. Three, write the reviews immediately after finishing the book! Four, when you have day off, try to write posts beforehands. Five, DON'T PANIC (like you always do)!

What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?

I love blogs with beautiful and simple layout. It's hard to be objective with your own blog, so I have no idea if I've managed to replicate it even a little. I doubt it.

That's why I'm designing new layout, little by little.

What do you dislike about blogs you’ve seen? Do you try to avoid this?

I don't like clutter or really bad layouts. Or music on the background. (..try to ignore the clutter around here..)

How did you bring your blog to the attention of so many people?

Mostly through giveaways and commenting.

When and how did you get your first ARC (or first few ARCs)?

I was contacted by lovely Anthea, who asked if I was willing to read her book (Feyland: The Dark Realm, and the giveaway is still on!), I agreed and I was really happy about that after reading the book :)

This happened in the beginning of November.

Of course, I've received books from Netgalley, but this was the first contact from an author, so I remember it very well.


17 kommenttia :

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great honest answers.
I love your look.
To gain followers I usually get out there and visit and comment on other blogs.

Monaliz said...

I made a New Year's resolution to be more social and visit everyone's blogs :) Unfortunately haven't really happened yet, since I've been up two nights in a row and just want to sleep now.. :D

But tomorrow!

Monaliz said...

.. and love your blog! And congratulations for your little Baby Whimsy! :) You just got yourself a new follower :)

rogier said...

gr8 list of answer
i comment a lot just started last summr to

Monaliz said...

I'm just so lazy with commenting :P But I do like to get comments, so maybe it's best to be more active with it :)

Celine said...

Aww, poor thing! *hugs* You don't have to be so insecure about your blog, it looks really good.

Haha, I can totally relate with the warm and fuzzy "I got a review request!" feeling. I still have that every time some one sends me an email, and I've been blogging for 1,5 year now.

Yay for European book bloggers!

Monaliz said...

Awww, you're just too nice! :) Thank you!

And good to know that the warm and fuzzy isn't going anywhere, that's a good reason to keep blogging! :)

Radiant Shadows said...

I found that hosting my first giveaway definitely gained me a few more followers, but very few of whom interact on my blog. I've found the best way to find followers who will comment on my posts are the ones who's sites I have visited and left comments on. It also helps with the feelings of loneliness, as you start to become friends with the people who's blogs you're commenting on!

I'm also participating in Small's event, and if you're interested in checking out my post, you can find it here!

Kelly
Radiant Shadows

Anne Flegel said...

I just love this statement:

'Then I decided, that if my reviews suck, too bad. If I don't get any readers, I'll write for myself. Even though it will be lonely, I'd survive!'

And I completely agree! ;) I enjoy writing as well as reading - it's just an absolute pleasure.

I love your color scheme - it's gorgeous.

I'm taking part in Small's event as well, if you like, stop by ( here

Anne (from Living in a Fairy World)

Small Review said...

Thank you for joining in! :D I love your blog design--it's so cute and happy! The colors are easy on the eyes.

haha I hear you on reading a bunch of books and then getting a backlog of reviews to write! I'm so bad with this. I think I have nine books I've read but haven't reviewed yet. The more time goes by, the harder it is to know what to write! I'm very bad with this.

I still feel down whenever I get declined from NetGalley. :( I know there are a lot of factors that go into it, but I totally want to grab a bag of cookies and feel sorry for myself whenever I get a declined email. I look at my big stack of library books and then realize that, well, it's not like I NEED more books to read!

Monaliz said...

I think I have about 10 books I haven't review yet :/ I know how I will be spending this weekend. Or how I should, at least.. :)

I just received another declined-message from Netgalley, man it sucks! :D Even though I asked for the book about a month ago, and I'm swamped with books right now.. But it still wasn't fun :)

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your kind words! :)

Alexa (Alexa Loves Books) said...

Your blog looks really cute!

We actually face many of the same challenges. Thankfully, I've managed to schedule most of my January posts, but that's just a fluke. Normally I'm the girl who's hurriedly typing away at a post the night before.

And I do the same thing - read one book, think "Oh, I'll review it later" and proceed to read some more. The end result? Me panicking because I have ten books w/o reviews.

NetGalley's tough. Sometimes, when I really really want a title (and that's almost all the time) and I don't get it, I really feel bad. But then I just try and distract myself with a different title that I got accepted for instead ;)

Crystal Jernigan said...

Hello! I am a new blogger and it was nice reading your answers to these questions. I totally agree with you on almost every question, especially the part about clena simple layouts. Some blogs are overwhelming, but I absolutely love your layout! Keep up the nice work!

-Crystal @ http://whatrureading.staytruehost.com/wp/

Ruby said...

Oh, don't panic is a great piece of advice. Unfortunately waaaay easier said than done!

Monaliz said...

I know! :D I'm still panicking nonstop. But I'm _trying_ to do as I say.

Paula said...

Im a new follower and love the pinkness of your blog :)
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com - BTW I love Netgalley, another good one is Booksneeze , ShelfAwareness , Simon and Schuster GalleyGrab,

Monaliz said...

Thanks! :) And I followed you back!

I haven't even heard about Booksneeze or ShelfAwareness, I have to check them out :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz