January 27, 2012

TGIF at GReads! #1: Buy or Borrow?




Who’s ready for the week­end?! I know I am!

I’m intro­duc­ing a new(ish) fea­ture for Fri­days to re-cap the week’s posts & to pro­pose a ques­tion for my fol­low­ers.

Feel free to get involved by link­ing up at the bot­tom.
If not, I’d love to read your responses in the com­ments. Thanks!

This Friday's Question:

Buy or Borrow: Where do your books that you read come from? The bookstore? The library? Do you prefer to own a book, or have it on loan?

I've just noticed that my library has some pretty great selection nowadays! I found Uglies there, and Hunger Games, and Evermore, Blood Magic etc., so now I tend to borrow more books than earlier.

But as I've mentioned earlier, I do love to buy books, especially the ones I know for sure are great.
So if I borrow a book from library and love it, I have to have it, ASAP.

But then again, our library's selection is, of course, limited. And there are so many great books out there, so I can't help it, I just have to buy them. Physical copies, of course. And if I absolutely love a book I bought as a paperback, I have to buy hardcover copy of it, too.
Complicated? Or more like annoying, since I can't use all my money to books! Or I could, but stuff like food and clothes are also nice to have once in a while.

And since I'm hardly working now, I can't use all my money to books. So library it is! And occasionally I borrow books from my friends.

7 kommenttia :

Jennifer Bielman said...

New follower.

I wish I could borrow books from the library but I just can't, too many germs, but it would save a lot of my money. lol.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jennifer @ Reading and Writing Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

Tanya Patrice said...

I'm spoiled because I have a great library system - so that's where I get most of my books.

Monaliz said...

It definitely has it pros and cons! It saves money, but since I always forget to return the books, I have to pay fines.. :D But at least I'm able to check if some book is as good as I hope.
Maybe you could try ebooks if you're not sure about some book. Though I've actually seen few times when an ebook is more expensive than a printed book, that was quite weird o.O

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Monaliz said...

You're so lucky! :) Our library system works okay, I guess. But of course, our city won't put enough money to libraries, or health care, so that sucks :/

But there's been some progress! :)

DJ_Librarian said...

Since I'm the librarian that decides what books my branch gets, I'm able to help expand our selection. Whatever I miss, our Youth Librarian usually helps me remember what to add to the collection. :)

It's also nice to borrow and trade/loan books with friends, too. While the library might not have the latest title, a friend might be willing to loan you their copy. But I am like you in that I usually have to get my own copies of books.

Monaliz said...

Oooh, I'm so envy! I've always dreamed of being a librarian, but here in Finland they use in libraries people to whom you don't have to pay for :/ But I can always dream! :)

And even if I was working in library, I wouldn't be able to stop buying books! ;D

Alexa (Alexa Loves Books) said...

I'm learning to be careful when buying books, simply because I don't want to spend money on books that I won't end up reading or liking. I used to be a book hoarder, but I'm (hopefully) learning to be a bit more selective.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz