November 17, 2011

Book Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh



Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Published: August 31st 2010
Publisher: Atheneum
Format : Paperback
Pages: 543
Series: Nevermore #1
Source : Swap
Buy : Amazon UK / Book Depository






synopsis




And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted - nevermore!

-- from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe


At once an homage to one of America's greatest writers and a page-turning psychological mystery that is equal parts horror, humor, and romance, NEVERMORE is the story of Varen -- a Poe-fan and goth -- and Isobel -- a cheerleader and unlikely heroine. When a Lit. project pairs the two together, Isobel finds herself steadily swept into Varen's world, one that he has created in his notebook and in his mind, one where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel slowly learns that dreams can be much more powerful than she'd ever expected, and that pain and despair come in all sorts of shades. As labels of "goth" and "cheerleader" fade away, she sees more in Varen than a tall, pale outcast, and a consuming romance is braced against the ever-clearer horror that the most terrifying realities are those within our own minds.

When Isobel has a single chance to rescue Varen from the shadows of his own nightmares, will she be able to save him -- and herself?



thoughts







*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*
At first, I hesitated starting this book, mainly, because I'm not a huge poem fan. I did read Poe during my angry goth- phase, but that was over ten years ago. Luckily, even though Poe was related to this story, you don't have to be a huge fan to enjoy this book!

First I have to say, I really liked Isobel. She wasn't as annoying as I expected. You know, because she's a cheerleader! So it was a nice surprise to see that she wasn't a total brainless barbie. Like her old friends. Luckily, she got few new ones, like Gwen! She's just so adorable!

And Varen. Oh Varen. Finally a guy to my taste. Since I have a thing to those skinny goth boys..

The main thing I loved in this book was Isobel's and Varen's romance. It was something.. real. Not like in many books, where girl and guy meet and they realize that they're madly in love the second they see each other. And in the end, they only kissed once. But the writing was so vivid. I could actually feel the tension and excitement you have in the beginning of the relationship. That was the most amazing part in this book.

The dreamworld didn't work for me as much as I hoped. Probably, 'cause all I could think, was "A Nightmare on Elm Street". Then Lilith came along, and we remember how much Sam and Dean loved her, right?

Ending was.. awful. I was crying, no surprise there. It was just too sad. Though then we got the glimmer of hope, and I wanted to start the book number 2 right away, but we won't be having that until next year, which is just unfair! This is the reason, why I'd love to buy series, where all the books have been published! Man. This is too sad, so I can't really think straight right now.



Rating:



0 kommenttia :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Mind Reading? Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez Mods Monaliz